A card from Barbra Streisand postmarked November 1978, for example, thanks Mr. Dylan for sending flowers and playfully suggests that they make a record together; there is no evidence of a response.And that prompted Barbra Streisand to go into her archive and write this to the NYT:
As I remember it, first he sent me flowers and a lovely note, asking me if I would like to sing with him. In return, I sent him the note that’s in his archive, thanking him for the flowers and the invitation.Okay, but the NYT said there was no evidence of a response. Anyway, Streisand claims a response, wiping out the unpleasant impression that one might get flowers and a nice invitation from Bob Dylan and fail to respond. But Streisand ups her prestige to a whole new level by sharing another letter that she got from Bob Dylan:
Years later … when “Yentl” was about to come out … he sent me his latest album, along with the letter I still have. In it, he writes, “There are some songs on this album which I’m sure you would love to do.” He adds, “I’m looking forward to seeing your movie. Maybe you can direct me in one of mine.” And then he goes on to say something that still means so much to me: “You are my favorite star. Your self-determination, wit and temperament and sense of justice have always appealed to me.”There's no claim that she responded to that kind note, and Streisand ends with a statement that she's going "to send a copy of his letter to Bob, so it can be included in his archive, as well as mine."
So don't anyone ever forget that Barbra Streisand is, as she has always told us, the greatest star:

0 Comments