Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

"What is behind the CrossFit need, which is a variation of compulsive intense training?"

Thomas Beller says: "The answer moves along several parallel axes." The link goes to The New Yorker as you might have surmised based on: 1. The fact that my previous post goes to The New Yorker, 2. That "answer moves along... axes" locution (Who talks like that"), and 3. I don't have a third axes to my speculation about your surmising (Sorry, I feel a compulsion toward groups of 3, especially when writing about groups of 3, and what is behind this need of mine, and does it move along 3 axes?):
1. The Axis of Wanting to Be a Middle-Aged Man Who Can Dunk....

2. The Axis of Parenting. And Within That, the Axis of Having a Son.... Maybe I joined CrossFit because I wish to live long enough to be able to play with my son at exactly the age—ten and onward—when I no longer had a father to play with me. Every parent knows how much having a kid inspires meditations on mortality. But was a son also provoking in me rivalrous feelings? Was I going into training for a competition that wouldn’t begin in earnest for twelve or fifteen or twenty years?...

3. The Axis of Geography.... New Orleans...“decrepitude.”... The word brought me up short. New Orleans is a place where one is constantly reminded of nature’s desire to reclaim the landscape....

Post a Comment

0 Comments